Saturday, April 23, 2011

Internet Security - A Big Headache

Comment Up

There are a lot of sick puppies out there with nothing to do but to write computer viruses. I got one (consisting of about a dozen Trojans or more) and it has been worse than hell to get rid of them. No sooner was one eliminated, another appeared. And no matter what I did, the virus overrode anything and everything. Doing a system restore does not always solve the problem as viruses have become so sophisticated. I now have a new anti-virus program but can't use Outlook Express, a new problem. It took 40 hours to get rid of these viruses and lots of $$$ later and I am now virus free, for the moment...I will be holding my breath.

I think, but am not sure, that I picked it up in Facebook. I went to a Facebook page and then I started having the trouble.

Something has to be done on the Internet to ensure security. I Googled and found explanations as to why people engage in this:
Markus Hanhisalo
Department of Computer Science
Helsinki University of Technology

What he has to say:
  • they don't understand or prefer not to think about the consequences for other people
  • they simply don't care
  • they don't consider it to be their problem if someone else is inconvenienced
  • they draw a false distinction between creating/publishing viruses and distributing them
  • they consider it to be the responsibility of someone else to protect systems from their creations
  • they get a buzz, acknowledged or otherwise, from vandalism
  • they consider they're fighting authority
  • they like 'matching wits' with anti virus vendors
  • it's a way of getting attention, getting recognition from their peers and their names (or at least that of their virus) in the papers and the Wild List
  • they're keeping the anti virus vendors in a job
and one that Markus didn't list--
  • they are just miserable SOB's with some making money from companies employing their services.

3 comments:

Mary Lindsey said...

• Lynn, I sympathize with your problem. I too have experienced varying degrees of weirdness when I clicked on FB messages that absolutely were sent NOT from the FB friends it looked like they were sent from, that really were apps, that really were viruses trying to get in. I have bullet proof virus and malware protection (or so it promises) and I disabled all FB apps and reset privacy levels to high.

Also you might want to check out this tip from Kerry Hurley posted on FB April 13th. "ATTENTION! While on FB, look at your URL address (the very top box on your screen.) If u see "http:" instead of "https:" then u DO NOT have a secure session & can be HACKED. Go to Account - Account Settings - Account Security - click Change. Check box (secure browsing), click Save. FB has automatically set it on the non-secure setting! Do your friends a huge favor, copy & Re-post"

I followed his advice and have not been bothered with any FB wierdness since.

Lynn Anderson said...

Thanks, Mary. These people should be shot! I just did what you said. Now I need to get my e-mail straightened out and a few other quirks.

Anonymous said...

I notice where Blogger is not encrypted. I wonder why.