Saturday, October 27, 2012

Professional Proprietorship and Pissed -- The Photo

Comment Up

There are millions of photos on the Internet and tons of my photos floating around in cyber space. If  someone grabs one, in many cases there is no way of knowing if the shot is mine or if it is copyrighted or the circumstances unless it has a disclaimer. Normally it is not a problem. Last year I got a call from a woman writing a technical report on the ECR. She wanted to use some of my photos. As her report was not for personal use but for a commercial business report that might have been a benefit to her, I said, "Sure, just give me a credit" as she would with any source. I am, after all, just an amateur but we still like a little credit from time to time.

Lake Worth Voice is on Facebook and says it is "a medium for all members of the City of Lake Worth to express their opinions to the elected leaders and to distribute information to the community that we live in and love."

Therefore, I thought you might find this exchange interesting between activist Mary Lindsey and pro photographer Jim Stafford, as he is running for elected office, Lake Worth Commissioner District 2 regarding a photo of Herman Robinson taken at the July 4th raft races.


Mary Lindsey
Prosperity & Achievement: Well Done!
Share · July 5 at 4:54am
4 people like this.


Jim Stafford-- This photo has been placed on this blog without my permission. I in no way endorse the blog, its content, or the author.
July 5 at 10:24am


Mary Lindsey-- Good Lord, Jim, I didn't know it was your picture or I would have given you credit immediately. You just sent me a notice two minutes ago telling me to take it down or give you credit or pay a $100 fee. I've answered your email. I've given you credit. But if you want me to take the picture down, I will.
July 5 at 10:31am


Jim Stafford-- Taking what is not yours is stealing! I don't want my work used to push your political agenda.
July 5 at 10:34am · Edited


Mary Lindsey-- OK, One more time, when I saw the picture this morning, I DIDN'T KNOW it was yours!. Do you want me to take it down?
July 5 at 10:33am


Mark Easton--Mary, I will post more pictures and you are welcome to use any you wish.
July 5 at 10:41am


Mary Lindsey --Thank You Mark.
July 5 at 10:42am


Jim Stafford-- I would prefer that you remove it.
July 5 at 10:48am via mobile


Mary Lindsey-- done
July 5 at 10:51am


Mark Easton-- Now a nice pic of Herman that will never again be seen by Lake Worth.
July 5 at 10:58am


Mary Lindsey-- I back tracked where I first saw the beautiful picture and it was on a page called Lake Worth. How in the name of heaven was I supposed to know that it was copyrighted photo? Sheeesh!
July 5 at 11:28am


Marty Rosenblatt-- Pretty cool cover photos, Who runs that Lake Worth site??
July 5 at 11:33am


Marty Rosenblatt-- Never mind! heh
July 5 at 11:35am 


Jim Stafford--Mary Lindsey are you Lake Worth? They hired me to cover the event. Again, what is not yours is stealing!
July 5 at 11:56am


Mark Easton-- Mary, that's not the best thing you have ever stolen, You have stolen Lake Worth's (the community) Hearts
July 5 at 12:00pm


Jim Stafford-- Mark Easton they don't give food away at the market so why should I give my photo away. That image cost thousands to take in equipment and training. If Mary Lindsey professional photography on her blog she can pay for it like anyone else!
July 5 at 12:05pm


Mark Easton-- Jim, I just love your community spirit. I do know the cost of equipment, and just happen to have some of it. Here at the Herald, we're just a little less worried about sharing.
July 5 at 12:07pm


Jim Stafford-- I have four children 2 of which have autism. I don't have the luxury to give services away.
July 5 at 12:18pm

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting exchange, but i don't get the point.
Isn't this a standard problem faced by professional photographers?

Sue Collins said...

First of all the photo was posted on a Facebook page which basically makes it public domain property he should have watermarked it. To outright accuse, of all people Mary Lindsey, of stealing just shows what a short fuse this candidate has and no emotional brakes on his outbursts. If he wins it will be interesting to watch how long before he gets just as nasty and vulgar on the dais as he has on his old blog and in this exchange.

Anonymous said...

What poltiical agenda is gthere about Indep4endence Day and a raft race? huh?

Ian said...

Wow, Jim seems like a pretty nasty guy here, and now he wants to service as our commission, his only reason is money for his four kids? I won't vote for him now, this is really bad. I wonder if he and Mary L talk anymore? I am sorry, but Jim and Wes, they are real pieces of work, I just can't imagine either being in political office or representing us.

Anonymous said...

The point is that this man is not the community-minded person he claims to be.
He is not fit to represent the residents.
He attached McVoy for not attending enough events yet he is the one who charges for photos of events.
He is a mean-spirited blowhard who does not deserve to be our commissioner.

Anonymous said...

i have yet to see stafford at any event

Anonymous said...

He took that "Professional" photo of the girl filling in the potholes in front of house and mocked her as the BLACK GIRL on worthless com. She was only doing her job what the boss told her to do for the day!!!!

Anonymous said...

ha, Stafford has always been hateful. He attacks everyone. I don't think he likes anyone in this city other than Wes Blackman.

Anonymous said...

Jim Stafford was a big fat douche before he ran for office and he's an even bigger fatter douche now that he is running for office.(copyright that jack@$$). And by the way Jim, anyone can take a freaking picture, yours are nothing special. Did you pay Herman to use his image??