Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Suzanne Mulvehill's final Speech

Good evening-

I first would like to congratulate Commissioner McVoy on his re-election. In the two years we have been colleagues on the commission, I have found him to be very much as the PBP described him: cool-headed and analytical. I would also add that he is very genuine and transparent in his decision-making. We are fortunate to have him and I am grateful that our voters thought so as well. Congratulations Commissioner McVoy!

As I prepared my final remarks, on my time in office I thought of the day I took this seat for the very first time; the hope and joyful anticipation I felt from those who gathered here; the promise of a new vision from a new commission majority who would honor our independent spirit and the will of the people.

I had aspiring goals for us and recalled speaking of “uniting the opposites” believing that our political differences could be bridged by our common goal. I saw that we all really wanted the same thing – a better Lake Worth. What I learned is that our political “sides” exist in how we accomplish this goal. And in my opinion, it is where we lack continuity and postpone achieving our potential. As an example, I served in the majority and minority in just four years. I watched projects be put together and taken apart. I worked with 6 commissioners, 4 mayors and 4 city managers, both permanent and interim, and I have served as mayor, vice mayor and commissioner.

As I leave office, our city is poised to vote on another charter amendment, the height restriction ballot item. It is an issue that I feel strongly about. While it may have been legal to move this ballot item to a special election, it was, in my opinion, morally and ethically wrong. When we use our power as elected officials to slow or suppress the democratic process, it is a “misuse” of power. That said, I believe the voters will speak decisively on the issue of height limits, when they are finally “allowed” to vote on the issue in March. “Ordinary people can indeed make sound judgments on major political issues,” said Thomas Paine back in 1776. And that ideal, a foundation of our country, holds true today.

I want to thank our staff and employees for all their hard work to move Lake Worth through some very difficult times, and especially our former city manager Susan Stanton for her leadership.

It has been an honor to serve the residents of Lake Worth, to serve with my colleagues both present and past, and especially Commissioners Cara Jennings and Jo-Ann Golden. I leave you with this quote because I believe it is how Lake Worth will achieve its potential -

“People often say that, in a democracy, decisions are made by a majority of the people. Of course, that is not true. Decisions are made by a majority of those who make themselves heard and who vote - a very different thing. ~Walter H. Judd

 Please vote and be an informed citizen. For YOU are the future of Lake Worth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pic of a beautiful person! All the best to you!