Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Miami is here? Bodegon took roots

Comment Up

Supermercado El Bodegon

Bodegon opened Monday at the Town & Country Shopping Center at 1910 Lake Worth Road. I dropped in  to see what was up. I spotted a check-out gal and asked if she spoke English.  She gave me a blank look.  I then walked over to Customer Service...more blank looks.


Everyone spoke Spanish. No one, other than the security guard spoke English; he is bi-lingual. I asked him who I would go to if I needed a question answered. His reply--"don't give them a hard time, they only speak Spanish." So, of course, I had to ask why they weren't hiring bi-lingual employees as this was an English speaking country. He said I had to ask the owners. I told him they were going to miss out on a large segment of customers but he said they were doing very well without them. That's when you know you are a stranger in your own country.


One of the requirements of American citizenship is that you must be able to read, write and speak English. America is a wonderful place, no doubt about it..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were just there and had no trouble speaking english with employees I didn't have to get in anyone's face saying do you speak English? The store is clean and well organized although we didn't find all we needed, and it felt like another country. There were interesting foreign products and the cafe looked good.

Lynn Anderson said...

Well, you had a lucky day!

Anonymous said...

El Bodegon is a Colombian owned supermarket chain! Lynn, you need to move farther north I guess, the population will keep changing, it won't be long until all commissioners and mayor are children of Guatemalans and other Latinos. Accept it or more out! That goes for all gringos living here.

Lynn Anderson said...

Thanks for such insight to this. Actually what needs to happen is that illegal immigration needs to stop and that we secure our borders. Immigrants need to come here legally, learn the language and assimilate.