Monday, October 19, 2015

Palm Beach has become a Port-O-Let

Comment Up
Save Our Neighborhood attorney, Lesley Blackner, wrote a piece for The Shiny Sheet:

Special to the PB Daily News--

Recently, I was asked by a Londoner who’s never been to Palm Beach to describe this gilded island. She asked me what the island’s landmarks are. She probably thought I’d mention Mar-a-Lago, The Breakers, Billionaires Row or Worth Avenue. I thought about it and said:

Imagine a place where even shacks sell for millions. Imagine a place where every block and every major road is torn up with construction. You can’t hear the birds for the unrelenting noise of demolition and construction. As for landmarks, London has the red telephone booth. Palm Beach has the port-a-potty. You can’t go a block without seeing and smelling one. Until very recently, I could stand on the sidewalk in front of my home and view four port-a-potties. (Now there are “only” three.)

The other day I rode my bike through town (weaving in and out of the obstacle course that the roads have become) and counted 17 separate port-a-potties and new construction on nearly every street. I didn’t cover the entire island and only rode for one hour. I’ve been out many mornings walking my dogs when a port-a-potty truck shows up to do its thing and pick up a load. Hold your breath and run far away.

My acquaintance was shocked, saying, “All the big New York money is fleeing to Palm Beach.” Yes, that is true. The money wants to live in Palm Beach. However that may be, the Palm Beach Town Council must still run the place. The Town Council is charged with protecting the “health, welfare and safety” of the town residents. Council members are decidedly NOT charged with allowing uncontrolled construction to ruin our quality of life. Why can’t they stagger building and road construction? Must the whole town be torn up 24/7? In my opinion the Town Council is not doing its job.

When my son was little, he would say, “Could I have a piece of quiet?” I think of that now when I see and smell what Palm Beach has become.

LESLEY BLACKNER Palm Beach
PB Daily News

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank GOD for people like Lesley !! All the commission majority and their sycophant krew want to do here is rape, pillage and grab what they can. Screw the public quality of life. Too bad we don't have more Lesley's and fewer Scott Maxwells out here.

Anonymous said...

what your trying to say lake worth fl a sh-- hole