Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Loretta Sharpe

Comment Up

Last night at the Bryant Park Neighborhood Association Forum it was announced that Loretta was in JFK. Shanon Materio came over to where I was sitting and told me that she had been given Last Rites. I was going to stop by today to see her and so terribly sad to learn now of her passing.

Although Loretta and I had different opinions on many issues affecting our city, she always believed that she had the best interests of Lake Worth and her beliefs are what drove her enthusiasm. I wish I had taken the time and  told her how much I admired her spunkiness and devotion to what she believed and her always working hard for those passions. She was a fighter in everything she did, even with her insidious disease. We were all hoping she would beat it.

May she rest in peace. It won't be the same now at city hall. It never is when you lose someone who gave a lot.
Lynn Anderson
R.I.P. Loretta Sharpe
The City of Lake Worth has lost one of its longest active contributors. You were a very energetic, giving, and caring force, in and for, this beautiful and needy city. So much was done that you were a part of and will live on. You can look down knowing whether people realize it or not that you have honored us leaving behind a Very Positive Impact. For that we will always be thankful.
You will be truly missed by, oh so many. There were those that might ha...
See More
Mary Lindsey
Rest in Peace Grand Lady
Loretta Sharpe
November 4, 1938 - January 26

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lynn for posting this, and thank you Commissiner Maxwell for making the community aware of the imminent loss last night at the Bryant Park debate of one of our city's legacy characters.

Loretta had passion, whether you agreed or disagreed with her, at least you knew exactly where she stood on an issue and she was at least a bit receptive to hearing opposing view points.

Loretta, you'll be missed.

Mary Lindsey said...

Lynn, You are very gracious to post such a tribute to Loretta. The kind words following your message however, were written by Marshall Pass. All I posted was Loretta's picture along with the dates of her birth and death.

Weetha Peebull said...

Go Marshall!
Such a lovely tribute from an unexpected source.
Thank you Mary for clarifying it for us. Comes
down to 'we fight like family - but when family
hurts - we all hurt".

Lynn Anderson said...

Sorry--I didn't realize the post was confusing.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear of her passing but her record in our city was not a good one. More than anyone else she beat the drum for the interests of developers over the people. I can not celebrate her life as you do Lynn.

Lynn Anderson said...

There is a time to forgive, preferably during the time when someone is alive in this world. That's when you make things right. Everyone needs more humanity. It will help you going forward.

Anonymous said...

Shocking. I just saw her a week ago.

Anonymous said...

That would be "Last Rites" not rights. Unfortunately, Ms. Sharp, in many minds, was not such a wonderful person. Many found her rude,nasty,belittling and loud. I know I did. RIP. May God have mercy on her soul.

Unknown said...

When my brother moved back to Lake Worth from Manalapan in the late 90's one of the first people to welcome him to town was Loretta. They fast became great friends and shared a lot of time together, John said they talked on the phone everyday, about everything. I remember the first time I met Loretta at one of her many gala like dinners at her home during the Christmas season. She knew how to entertain. After my brother John died she was one of the first people from town to show up at my door with food and flowers. She was a great friend, confidant and ally. She was a great cheerleader for our city and a real community treasure. I'm looking forward to toasting Loretta at the rooftop bar at the Gulfstream Hotel! Rest well Loretta in Gods loving arms. You will certainly be missed.

Lynn Anderson said...

OK--thanks on the spelling correction--I'm not a catholic. You spell her name with an 'e' at the end of it. Next, I want to tell everyone out here that I will not be accepting any unkind comments in the future on Mrs. Sharpe. This really makes me sad.

Anonymous said...

I certainly didn't agree with Loretta on every issue, like I don't agree with Lynn, or Wes or anyone else in this City. I've got my own view points, but I do appreciate those with passion and who speak their minds and Loretta certainly did. It was clear that she cared very deeply about the City.

Laurel said...

Bummer. She was a pistol, as my mom would say. We exchanged a few dirty looks over the years, but never an unkind word. Rest in peace Loretta.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above poster about Loretta. She loved Lake Worth and cared, she was vocal and may have bothered others but in the end she made peace with God and even returned to church where I would see her each week. I feel bad she had to live with an illness and suffer, it is not easy for anyone. I am sure it is hard for her son. May she rest in peace and may God welcome her to an eternal life. She supported Sacred Heart Church and is remembered in the pews, with one in her name as she supported the remodeling of Sacred Heart this summer celebrating its 100 years this year 2016. Loretta forgave and made peace with others and in the end was a fine person, someone very involved in the city, she loved Lake Worth very much! May God bless her always! I said a Divine Mercy Rosary in her name last night, she will always be remembered in the hearts of many here, thanks Lynn!

Lynn Anderson said...

Thank you @5:52...beautifully stated. Even though I said "rest in peace," I think Loretta will still be setting heaven "on fire."