Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Lawn Maintenance companies - Not filled with PR people.

Lawn maintenance is in the top three of expenses for my condo association.  First is Lake Worth Utilities, second is insurance and third is the lawn. When I spend thousands of dollars a year on lawn, I want it done right.  Is that too much to ask?  It is for one company.

I just got in from hauling downed palm fronds from my front yard.  Yesterday, I did the same thing in the back.  All told, there were ten trips to the dumpster.  I have about 5 Foxtails with broken branches that our yard man will have to address.

Our yard man is new--just hired yesterday.  The other company never got around to pruning the Arecas that were dense, some filled with dead limbs. In fact, they never fulfilled their contract with our association at all.

 Downed SeaGrape

After the hurricane I was told by the owner's son not to ask him any questions, to call the office...I called the office and their phone message gave a number of the son to call if I had any questions. "Let me do my job" the owner's son said as I was standing next to him trying to ask about the dumping of this tree on county property.


He and his crew proceeded to drag a cut up downed Sea Grape across Lake Osborne Drive, a county road, and dumped the debris on John Prince Park. He informed me that FEMA would be picking up the landscape. Jamie Brown, Public Works Director said that was not so and wondered where he got that information. I couldn't answer that question because the son refused to answer me. In fact, he was so pissed, his company cancelled their contract with me. Calling him out on illegal dumping must not have set well with him.

This is what you have to deal with in Florida. There are a lot of vendors who are clueless when it comes to who is more important, them or the customer. They hurry to get the job done--get in and get out, on to the next job...err, victim and they count on unknowledgeable customers.

I know grass cutting is a hot, lousy job but if if bothers you that much and you can't follow the laws or deal with the customer, you know, the guy who pays you, find another profession.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As he is presumably licensed to do business, he should know about FEMA. He must have known.

Anonymous said...

FEMA has not been involved picking up debris since Wilma.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, right, not to mention bad condo managers that are completely incompetent too. Why is it everything is so mediocre today?

Lynn Anderson said...

I have found that most lawn guys are the same. Changing companies is not unusual. It reminds me of hairdressers--they are good in the beginning and then they all slack off. Then you go somewhere else.

Lynn Anderson said...

@11:20 Condo managers just cost a lot of money and can't get anything done without a Condo board of Directors. If everyone would learn their jobs and understand their docs, State Statues, local and county laws, things would work much smoother and more efficient.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm surprised you didn't fire the bum

Anonymous said...

LOL! Thank you!